Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Author Spotlight - Elise Marion - Coming out of the erotic romance closet


‘Mom, I Want to Write Erotic Romance’. Coming Out of the Closet

She sat in the dining room, in her usual spot, reading a book on her iPad, cup of tea untouched in front of her. She looked as she always did: quiet, reserved, conservative. Mom. Yet for some reason in this moment she was the most intimidating I’d ever seen her. My palms were sweating and I wiped them on my jeans nervously, drawing her attention to me.

“Hey Sweet Pea,” she said, calling me by my childhood nickname. That did it; I was going to be sick. I had something to tell her and this definitely wasn’t a ‘Sweet Pea’ moment.

How do you tell your mom that her little girl is writing sexy stories for a living? How do you say, ‘hey Mom, read my book, there’s lots of graphic sex in there by the way’?

I know what you’re thinking. Mom’s are loving and supportive. Why wouldn’t she be thrilled that her daughter was getting published? I’ll tell you why. Because, when I was a teen/young adult, Romance novels were considered trash in my parents’ house. I had to hide them under my mattress and read them in hiding for fear they’d be thrown away. I’m sure all the true booklovers out there are cringing at the thought of seeing a book in the trash. I feel your pain, trust me; many of mine made it to the dumpster.

Yet, there was no reason to hide it. I’m an adult now … for God’s sake I’M someone’s mom now! You’d think I’d be able to just say it and get it over with. Yet some part of me—the part of me that cares what my parents think of my choices—was pee-your-pants scared.

I think I must have hemmed and hawed around it for a few minutes before finally spitting it out. Mom listened quietly and watched closely … probably for some sign that I was joking. Yet she knew I wasn’t. As much as she knew I loved Romance novels, she also knew I’d been a writer my whole life. This actually made sense to her.

To this day, she is my biggest cheerleader and is probably the only person I know who has read every one of my books (some of them multiple times). She does raise her eyebrows at the sexual scenes and tells me often that I ‘scorched her eyebrows off’, but her support and love never wavers. I will always be grateful to her for making it easy to do what I love without having to hide. 


Note: Thanks so much, Ava, for the original blog posting at Satin Sheets Romance as part of "The Secret Life of Avery O'Dea" blog tour.

 

****

Bottom Drawer Publications is proud to have published two of Elise Marion's works: 

The Secret Life of Avery O'Dea


The Gift



For more information on these books, check out Elise's author page on our website here.


About Elise Marion

Elise Marion is a lover of books and has a special place in her heart for sweet and sensual romance. Writing about love across all walks of life is her passion, as is reaching people through the written word. The Army wife and stay-at-home mother of two spends most of her time taking care of her children. Her second job includes writing stories about characters that people can fall in love with. When the Texas native isn’t caring for her family or writing, you can usually find her with her nose in a book, singing loudly, or cooking up something new in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment